22-26/04/2011 - photos
Participants: Tom Brennan, Rachel Grindlay, Richard Pattison, Andrew "Smiffy" Smith
Anzac Day is fairly late to be canyoning, but when combined with a late Easter to become a 5 day weekend, it seemed too good an opportunity to miss. We headed up to the Coorongooba area and visited 7 canyons, all of them new to us.
- Day 1 - we walked up a major creek. Leaving packs in the creek, we climbed up a pass and visit a short canyon. I left my camera with my pack, so I mostly took photos with Rachel's camera. After returning, we set up a base camp at a creek junction.
- Day 2 - we headed up a small creek that became a pleasant canyon. At the top we climbed out and crossed over the ridge, dropping into another canyon. This was very narrow and squeezy. We returned to camp for lunch, and then set off up the same pass as the day before to a third canyon. This was also very narrow.
- Day 3 - we left our camp and climbed up the same pass with full packs, making our way up to the main ridge. Leaving packs on a hill, we dropped down into a nearby creek which was a long and very good canyon. We returned to our packs at sunset and found a good spot to camp just below the hill.
- Day 4 - with full packs we headed along the ridge to near a grassy clearing. Leaving packs, we dropped into the creek and followed it down through another long canyon, before exiting up a gully and back along the ridge to our packs and a campsite.
- Day 5 - we continued along the ridge. With approaching rain, we dropped into a creek which became a narrow canyon. At the end of the canyon we had lunch sheltering from the rain, and then continued down the gully and out back to our car.